International Standard is the “British” form of partner dancing. The dances in this style are centuries old and originated in the Royal Courts of Europe. It is the oldest and most recognizable and elegant of ballroom dance styles.
International Ballroom is about maintaining the connection with your partner. The dancers stay close to each other while they lead and follow around a common center as they move. Although International Ballroom style is most often used when dancing competitively, many people enjoy dancing it socially as well.
International Standard consists of 5 dances:
- Waltz – (28-30 bars per minute)
- Tango – (30-32bars per minute)
- Viennese Waltz – (58-60 bars per minute)
- Foxtrot – (28-30 bars per minute)
- Quickstep – (50-52 bars per minute)